Consider packing your bag with folloing daily essentials.
Group trip South Africa in a small group (max 10 persons), in a quiet pace with time for a book or a walk, special small-scale 4 * (and sometimes 5 *) accommodations. From Johannesburg to Cape Town (or vice versa), with domestic flight. The ideal introductory journey!
Reviews 14 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Adult Group
Activity Level Nature-Culture
Group Size Medium Groups
If you book a trip through Afrikaya Leisure Travel, you will travel the most comprehensive travel folder in the travel industry well before departure (5 to 6 weeks). All information you need for preparation is here. If you still have questions after reading the folder, you can of course contact us!
Passport and visa
- a valid (international) passport (identity card is not sufficient), babies and children must also have their own passport
- proof of return ticket or ticket to a next destination
The visa for South As an EU citizen you will automatically receive Africa upon arrival. For the visa (maximum 90 days stay) 2 opposite blank pages are required in your passport. Your passport must be valid until 30 days after your return.
For Swaziland the passport must be valid until 6 months after departure. You will receive the visa at the border crossing.
Luggage and clothing
A suitcase with a hard shell is less manageable and often fits less well in a luggage compartment than a travel bag on wheels. Spinners (4 small wheels) are not useful in Africa, the paths are often too uneven. Preferably provide latches or leave your suitcase in plastic seals at the airport.
Informal holiday clothing is permitted everywhere. In (very) luxurious travel, the appearance of dinner with long pants or jacket (and tie) is sometimes appreciated.
You do not have to bring foreign currency when you go to South Africa, ATMs are everywhere.
In South Africa you pay with South African Rand (ZAR). ATMs can be found in all larger cities in South Africa. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted, also at supermarkets, but not at petrol stations. You can also pay with ZAR in Swaziland , these countries also have their own currency.
It is very common that there is a tip for services and servicewill be given. In the Netherlands the service fee is often included in the price, but in southern Africa people are often entirely dependent on tips and tips. It's always about small amounts and our advice is: be generous. We advise you not to go for a broom. Pay well for services provided, give an extra tip for good service, buy your souvenirs from local entrepreneurs, taste local specialties and do not buy fresh fruit in the supermarket but at stalls at the local market / on the street.
Vaccinations DTP and Hepatitis A (infectious jaundice) are recommended, but are not mandatory.
If you come within 7 days from a yellow fever country such as Zimbabwe or Zambia, a yellow fever vaccination for South Africa - Botswana - Namibia is mandatory.
Malaria occurs in the summer months (October-May) in South Africa (Kruger National Park) and Swaziland. Malaria is usually prescribed for malaria, the side effects of which are limited. The lodges in malaria area are equipped with mosquito nets and / or air conditioning. Taking a mosquito net with you is notconvenient.
You can further inform yourself via:
* National Center for Passenger
Counseling * Tropical Care
For medication use, take the leaflets and preferably a letter (English) from your doctor about your medication.
In South Africa you can drink water from the tap, but it is not always good. Buy therefore water in bottles, especially in the other countries. More luxurious lodges will always provide water bottles. For people with a normal functioning immune system, tooth brushing is not a problem.
Traveling with Children under 18 years
Unabridged Birth Certificate
From 1 October 2014, new regulations are in force:
- parents traveling with their own children must also be able to present an original birth certificate of the traveling child (ren) alongside their passports and tickets;
- If only one of the parents is traveling with the child, he / she must be present next to the valid birth certificate
- OR have a written and signed statement from the other parent, allowing the child to travel with the other parent,
- OR official proof that the single parent has full custody and official control over the child (for example court order in custody case);
- OR if the other parent has died, a copy of the official death certificate of the other parent should be included instead of this statement;
- Children who do not travel with their parents but with a family member, acquaintance or other 'guardian' must have an official, written and signed declaration with the valid birth certificate in which both parents and / or parents. legal guardians promise that the child has permission to travel with these persons, as well as copies of the passports of the parents or the legal guardian of the traveling child.
A birth certificate can be obtained from the municipality (5 working days to 3 weeks). For more information: South African Consulate in The Hague, weekdays between 2 and 4 pm telephone number +31 (0) 70 392 4501.
Climate - best travel time
The seasons are reversed with us (summer is winter, autumn is spring). Every season has its own special features. For example, the West Coast in the African spring is wonderfully beautiful with flower carpets, the winter for the wild life is the best season and you want to see whales, from June to November, but the best months are September and October.
When planning (and booking) your trip, it is also wise to take the holiday periods into accountin South Africa. Gauteng and Johannesburg in particular: Easter, December to mid-January, July to mid-August are (very) busy.
Internet - Telephone - Electricity
Of course it is useful to be accessible and to be able to call. That gives a safe feeling, but can be very expensive. You can save by bringing your own device and buy a SIM card on the spot with calling credit, then you can call cheaply in the holiday destination. In South Africa, there is currently a registration requirement before the SIM can be activated. You can make the cheapest calls abroad using the public telephone (coins or cards) or hotel telephone. The costs are low in our terms!
The mains voltage is 220 volts, just like with us. However, you need a specific 3-pin plug. You can buy these on arrival, they are sold in every supermarket, on the local market, sometimes the tour guide has some copies for sale. The so-called "world plug"ANWB is, by the way, useless. The type C plug does fit.
In the winter time it is 1 hour later in South Africa (GMT +1).
Afrikaya Leisure Travel can arrange a short-term travel and / or cancellation insurance for you, you must indicate this when booking.
- Johannesburg (direct) 11 o'clock
- Cape Town (direct) 11.20 o'clock
Points of attention
- Guaranteed departure for 6 persons (max 10-12)
- Minimum age 12 years (in connection with safari activities)
- Book your trip at least 6 months in advance and receive € 50, - per person early booking discount.
- Single: room supplement € 925, -
- We reserve the right at all times to change accommodations, programs and routes, if this is necessary.
- All nights in 4 * (sometimes 5 *) accommodation en suite (always private bathroom)
- based on bed and breakfast, 2 x lunch and 4 x dinner, including delicious traditional dishes
- transport Mercedes Sprinter (+ trailer) with air conditioning / fridge
- Dutch / African Travel Guides
- domestic flight Durban-Port Elizabeth incl. airport taxes and fuel surcharges,
- reservation and ticket costs
- SGR warranty
- Afrikaya Trust contribution
- City tour Pretoria: Union Buildings & Church Square (Voortrekker monument on request)
- Panoramaroute, incl. entree
- Moholoholo Rehabilitation Center, incl. Entrance fee
- bussafari Kruger National Park, incl. entree
- Full Day open 4x4 game drive Kruger Park, incl. entree (privé ranger)
- 2 safari activiteiten per dag in Pongola Game Reserve - game drive, guided bush walk, boat cruise, tiger fishing, elephanting, black rhino tracking, kanoën)
- Cultural Village, incl. entree
- Mlilwane entree
- Boat Cruise Saint Lucia
- open 4x4 Game Drive Hluhluwe Umfolozi, incl. entree
- Durban city tour, incl. Victoria Market
- cultural tour Port Elizabeth, incl. townshipbezoek
- bussafari Addo Elephant Park, incl. entree
- Tsitsikamma National Park (Garden Route), incl. entree
- Route 62
- Wijntoer Stellenbosch-Franschhoek-Paarl, with wine tasting and lunch
- Cape tour - day program with boat trip to seal island, Table Mountain National Park (Cape of Good Hope), the penguins of Boulder's Beach, incl. Entrance fees
- Cable car Tafelberg (return)
Indication of other expenses :
- Lunches (€ 5-8), dinners that are not mentioned (€ 8-12) and drinks (good bottle of wine costs € 8-12 in a restaurant, soft drinks € 1.40)
- boat cruise Knysna € 14 pp
- whale trip Hermanus € 55 pp
- Robben Island: € 25 pp
- flights from Düsseldorf, Frankfurt or Brussels
- seat selection on flights
- Comfort Class KLM of business class
- extension Cape Town
- optional excursions can be paid on the spot with the guide
- Prices depend on the season and allowances
- If the flight is already fixed, this is stated with the travel code
- Travel plan based on
HEEN direct KLM daily flight, with flight with stopover you leave the day before on day 0 (in the evening)
BACK direct KLM night flight, with flight with stopover you leave in the evening on the same day
- Ask for your flight price yourself or without obligation via firstname.lastname@example.org
Flight with stopover from Amsterdam (or other airport in consultation) to Johannesburg. You arrive in the morning of day 1 and can spend the day eg on a visit to Soweto (option). Overnight in Pretoria.
Today in the morning a visit to Pretoria (Union Buildings, Church Square and if desired Voortrekker Monument), the longest trip on this tour.
We drive the famous Panorama route (excursion package) along Blyde River Canyon, with the Three Rondavels, waterfalls, magnificent views (God's Window) and spectacular rock formations in Bourkes Luck Potholes. We can enjoy the private nature park where we stay late afternoon. Perhaps you still wild spot from your own terrace! We will visit Moholoholo(excursion package). It is known from National Geografic, a unique project where animals are collected, to be able to return to nature after care. Here you can learn a lot about the nature of South Africa and wildlife. One of the projects that the Afrikaya Trust supports! In the afternoon we can return to the nature reserve for a nice nature walk or go swimming at a waterfall and / or visit the Blyde River Dam.
Kruger National Park
We drive for a first exploration through the world famous Kruger National Park and make a game drive (safari) until the afternoon with our own car / bus (excursion package). In the afternoon we arrive in Komatipoort. The bar overlooking the river, where hippos and crocodiles live, is a wonderful place to drink a beer and talk afterwards. The next day we get up very early to make a game drive (safari) with an open 4x4 (excursion package). In the evening we can discuss all the experiences during the braai or a potjie.
We drive to Swaziland and visit a Swazi village , where music and dance are central (excursion package ). The Mlilwane Game Reserve is a paradise for nature lovers and peace seekers. In this park you can walk around freely, go mountain biking or horseback riding and look for hippos, zebras and antelope species. We spend the night at the perhaps not super-luxurious but top-class Reilly's Rock Hilltop Lodge , unique on group travel! We prefer to have breakfast outside on the terrace overlooking the park or in the evening around the campfire.
Pongola Game Reserve
We stay in a luxury 5 * safari tent in the small and malaria free private reserve Pongola. The park encloses Lake Jozini, with the Lebombo mountains in the background. The reserve itself combines a landscape of mountains, bushveld and rivers with many animal species and a varied range of activities. During a safari you may see rhino, elephant, giraffe, zebra, kudu, buffalo, hyena, leopard, hippos, crocodiles, 12 species of antelope and about 350 different bird species. The area is also popular among fishermen (especially for catching Barbel and Tijgervis), but also Elephant or Black Rhino Tracking , a boat safari , canoe trips or a bushwalk are among the possibilities.
We leave Swaziland and drive to Saint Lucia in Kwazulu-Natal, known by the adjacent iSimangaliso Wetland Park and the nearby Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve. The town seems more like what we are used to, with shops, cafes and restaurants. With a bit of luck you will hear the hippos growl at dinner .... We make a boat cruise (excursion package) to spot hippos, crocodiles and many bird species (eg osprey and giant kingfisher). We visit Hluhluwe-Umfolozi National Park (excursion package) with an open 4x4. You can also enjoy walking along the beach or cycling through the nature reserve. In the season (July-December) you can also make a whale trip here.
We stay in Ballito in a beautiful lodge by the sea on the beautiful Dolphin Coast. We visit Durban with the Victoria Market and Golden Mile, the Moses Madhiba Stadium and / or the botanical gardens.
We fly from Durban to Port Elizabeth, a 'friendly place', located on the coast in the Eastern Cape. The guest house is within walking distance of the sea . We make a cultural tour , with a visit to a township and "our" school that we have adopted with the Afrikaya Trust (excursion package). We visit Addo Elephant Park , where you can get so close to the elephants that you can almost touch them (so to speak) ... (excursion package).
Today we drive to the Western Cape, along the well-known garden route ( Garden Route ). On the way we visit Tsitsikamma National Park (excursion package), one of the few remaining bits of primeval forest in South Africa. We take plenty of time to walk along the coast to the Suspension Bridge and enjoy the beautiful view at lunch. In Knysna you can take a boat trip across the lagoon, enjoy a nice walk, a lazy day or shopping.
We drive the beautiful route 62 which is reminiscent of the legendary Route 66 in America. Route 62 connected Cape Town with Port Elizabeth and all the intermediate villages such as Montagu and Swellendam . The road alternates through the transition from fertile vineyards to drier parts of the small Karoo . Swellendam is one of the oldest towns in South Africa (1745) and still has many houses in the Cape-Dutch style.
f it is whale season, we drive over Hermanus (whale spot in June-December). As an option you can make an impressive whale trip. We drive the beautiful Whale Route to Cape Town and stay in a guest house in the center, within walking distance of restaurants. If it is not a whale season, we drive along route 62 past beautiful nature and many wineries. A wine tour (Franschhoek, Stellenbosch, excursion package) with wine tasting and lunchone of the wineries should of course not be missed (excursion package). Even if you do not like wine, this is a beautiful day, because the landscape is absolutely beautiful and we visit nice towns such as Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.
We drive the Cape Tour over the Cape Peninsula (excursion package ), including Cape Point National Park with the Cape of Good Hope, Boulders Beach with its African penguins and a boat trip to an island with fur seals. In Cape Town we also have a day and a half to visit Table Mountain (excursion package), Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Bo-Kaap , Robben Island , Castle of Good Hope, Two Oceans Aquarium or Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden. Program in consultation with the tour guide.
Flight back home
Consider packing your bag with folloing daily essentials.
You stay at special and small-scale 4 * (and sometimes 5 *) accommodations in beautiful locations, almost always with swimming pool & air conditioning.
You always have your own bathroom and toilet .
Accommodations are selected with care on location, atmosphere, service and hygiene. A more spacious room, a good bed and an extensive breakfast are things we pay special attention to, so that you can enjoy more of every place.
Because we accompany our travels ourselves, we also quickly notice when something is getting less.
Because we are Fair Trade Certified , we pay a fair price to our suppliers and that is why we are always very hospitable with our groups.
Here you will find some examples of accommodations on this trip.
You travel in our own comfortable Mercedes Sprinter , equipped with air conditioning and refrigerator. In case of overlapping trips or small groups, we use other suitable transport, always with air conditioning.
Should you book a trip through Afrikaya Leisure Travel, you will travel with the most comprehensive travel magazine in the travel industry well before departure (5 to 6 weeks). All information you need for preparation is listed here. If you have any questions after reading the folder, please contact us!
Please check the overview for more information!
- A valid (international) passport (ID is not enough), including babies and children must have their own passport
- proof of return ticket or ticket to a next destination
For Namibia you have no Visa required (maximum 90 days stay). However, your passport must be valid for 6 months on departure from Namibia.
For Botswana you do not need a visa (maximum 90 days stay). However, the passport must be valid for 6 months on departure from Botswana. In addition, from June 1, 2017 in Botswana for foreign tourists, the USD30 pp Tourism Development Levy will apply, Pay at the border post in cash or by credit card. But this has been delayed until further notice.
We will inform you when booking about the latest information. Participants who do not own Dutch nationality should inform the embassy of their country to the exact border documents; Also for possible landings in other countries.
Most airlines carry 20 kg (sometimes 23 or even 30 kg) luggage for check-in, plus 7 kg of hand luggage. See your E-ticket or look at the website of the society. We advise not to take too much, with a lot of accommodation there is a laundry service which is definitely not too expensive. Good quality clothes, you can also buy cheap on site. Clothing that you want to leave behind is often more than welcome. A suitcase with hard shell is less practical and less often fits well in a luggage than a travel bag on wheels. Spinners (4 small wheels) are not handy in Africa, the trails are often too uneven. Prevent locks or leave your suitcase in plastic seals at the airport. Informal holiday clothes are permitted everywhere.
|Departure Dates Confirmed Dates||Trip Status Trip Status||Tour Codes Use Codes||Price (PP) Excluding Flights|
Tues 6-2-18 to Fri 2-3-18
Tues 4-9-18 to Fri 28-9-18
Booked & Guaranteed
Sat 29-9-18 to Tues 23-10-18
Available & Guaranteed
Wed 14-11-18 to Sat 8-12-18